Thumbnail buttons and actions

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 20:03:07 CET 2011

On Thursday 03 February 2011, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> On Thursday 03 February 2011 18:47:01 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > >
> > > Just as a note: I'm working on that together with rekonq developers
> > > (see complete thread [1]). I expect to start the kwin side of the
> > > implementation after shadow rework.
> >
> > apps being able to expose tabs in windows would be great. +1 to that.
> >
> > (as for apps, i still wish we had a completed silky; sebas: we should do
> > some project dev and promo around it and see if we can't get some new
> > developers plonking away on it!)
>
> +100 to that. I would rather like to see an awesome selkie and a proper
> solution to the web problem, than sticking to the broken one app as
> container for many app concept.
>
> So exposing the tabs is for me just a short term solution on the road to
> silk.

if marketed well, it could attract quite some people.
i envision a selkie done quite like:
* the web widget using just the main site web page as now
* web apps distributed in packages, with configs, icons for the services,
javascript/css snippets to unscrew the site itsef, hiding parts, whatever...
* extra toolbars

..and this more or less is present in selkie in it current for, i think?

there is where the neat comes.
as Nuno briefly mentioned, the other day we were having a nice chat about how
the look and stilyng of our current destop applications is not enough(tm)
anymore, but to be technically possible to move to a better thing a quite long
roadmap is needed.

in the selkie package, distribute also qml plasmoids (with eventual
services/dataengines, all in js) and will

a) nice a set of desktop plasmoids related to that service, but...

b) those plamoids can provide ui for selkie itself, as we are doing our
"device specific" profiles for qml plasmoids, there could be a profile for
selkie too, so for instance the application could give also tabs with a qml
based ui for the service but in a bigger window, so would become alsmost a
full application (maybe styled in a semi natie widget style)
using the native html ui, will become just the last resort (in another tab?)
when a better ui isn't available.

* this would look sexy
* would show explicitly a "way out of the browser"
* would mark a "prototype" on how a full desktop application could look
without painting limitations qwidgets now have
* enough? ;)

Cheers,
Marco Martin