New properties for StatusNotifierItem: Desktop Key (3/3)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Feb 3 18:34:50 CET 2011

On Wednesday, February 2, 2011, Ted Gould wrote:
> We'd like to suggest an additional key for .desktop files that lists the
> IDs of Status Notifier Items that an application exports.  This will
> allow us to better match SNI items when we are using them as quicklists,
> as errors are very embarrassing ;)  For this key we're suggesting:
> X-KDE-StatusNotifierItems which would be a list of strings.

this sounds useful indeed for the use cases you outlined. +1 from me.

(and doc the work i went through considering this one:

something i pondered was a slightly more complex way of doing this might be to
have the SNI carry with it the default menuid (usually something like kde-
kcalc.desktop) and then those menuids could be mapped to launchers,
quicklists, etc as the system sees fit. it is more complex, however, and would
require SNIs to actually have a menuid available to use, which not all do (or
should). alternately, an SNI could include the list of .destop files it
matches, but there's obviously not going to be enough knowledge at runtime in
all SNIs of the underlying system to know what best to do. so, while i
considered these, i dropped them on the floor as unworkable. back to the
proposal as the most elegant and useful :)

humru othro a kohnu se