New properties for StatusNotifierItem: Desktop Key (3/3)

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 14:45:43 CET 2011

On Thursday 03 February 2011, Ted Gould wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For an intro see the mail with the (0/3) in the subject line.
>
> We'd like to suggest an additional key for .desktop files that lists the
> IDs of Status Notifier Items that an application exports.  This will
> allow us to better match SNI items when we are using them as quicklists,
> as errors are very embarrassing ;)  For this key we're suggesting:
> X-KDE-StatusNotifierItems which would be a list of strings.
>
> 		--Ted

I think I like this.
this goes well with our idea of merging the taskbar and the status notifier
item as well.

could still be a bit error prone, but i can't think of more automatic ways. it
could also be done on the other way around, by having a list of desktop file
paths as a property of the notifier item, but wouldn't be better I think...

Cheers,
Marco Martin