the next step on the desktop

Martin Gräßlin kde at martin-graesslin.com
Tue Feb 1 18:44:51 CET 2011

On Tuesday 01 February 2011 13:07:58 Dario Freddi wrote:
> Aaron, thanks for putting this to attention. I want to add some other
> points which are relevant to me and I think fit well into this context.
> Sorry for not replying to other points, but I see a lot of enthusiasm,
> which is awesome, but also translates to: too much text :D
>
> However, preamble: these days I'm using Mac OS for some tasks, and while I
> am proud about missing a LOT of stuff from KDE, and think KDE is overall
> better, I have found myself missing some small things in Mac OS.
>
> The very first one is: multitouch gestures on the touchpad. In Mac OS,
> using a four-finger swipe triggers present window or show desktop,
> depending on the direction of the swipe. This is a TOTAL game changer in
> usability imo, as you are able to access windows or desktop through a
> single gesture. I think this would be a great target and rather simple to
> implement, given that the underlying architecture is ready - maybe
> somebody else can comment on that.
I am a trackpad user and wanted to have the swipe to alt+tab and present
windows since I first tried it. If the underlying stack is there, adding to
present windows is something like connecting one signal. Tabbox is a little
bit more difficult as it currently requires to keep alt (or any other
modifier) pressed. But should also be solvable and I would like to see it (not
only for this featue)

Cheers
Martin