the next step on the desktop: Improving Activities UI

Martin Gräßlin kde at martin-graesslin.com
Tue Feb 1 18:41:52 CET 2011

On Tuesday 01 February 2011 13:45:14 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> - Making KWin's taskswitcher more Activity-aware, for example by grouping
>   windows in the Boxswitch, by having some "chapter" visualization in
>   Coverswitch, or columns / grid in Present Windows
Easy to achieve as TabBox uses a QAbstractItemModel internally. Changing that
to a TreeModel and sorting by Activities should rather trivial. Also TabBox
could easily be extended to switch Activities.

More difficult is it in the effects: windows from other activities are
unmapped, so we do not have the pixmap/texture for it (see empty spaces bug in
Present Windows/Desktop Grid). We could use the multiple desktop hack, but
that won't work if a system starts with multiple activities. For me it looks
like effects and activities are not trivially possible.

Cheers
Martin