the next step on the desktop

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 13:07:58 CET 2011

Aaron, thanks for putting this to attention. I want to add some other points
which are relevant to me and I think fit well into this context. Sorry for not
replying to other points, but I see a lot of enthusiasm, which is awesome, but
also translates to: too much text :D

However, preamble: these days I'm using Mac OS for some tasks, and while I am
proud about missing a LOT of stuff from KDE, and think KDE is overall better,
I have found myself missing some small things in Mac OS.

The very first one is: multitouch gestures on the touchpad. In Mac OS, using a
four-finger swipe triggers present window or show desktop, depending on the
direction of the swipe. This is a TOTAL game changer in usability imo, as you
are able to access windows or desktop through a single gesture. I think this
would be a great target and rather simple to implement, given that the
underlying architecture is ready - maybe somebody else can comment on that.

Another one, is how their equivalent of System Settings is handled. They
solved the problem of default sizes by making it automatically resize when a
module loads. Sure, it requires all the modules to adhere to some guidelines
and whatnots, but it could be a good way to spot systemsettings' current
weakness, or still a good point to start thinking about how to solve the apps'
default size disaster.

More than that, I also had some other ideas, more than agreeing with Aaron on
his points, but I'll save those for another mail - gotta get back to study :D

--

Dario Freddi
KDE Developer
GPG Key Signature: 511A9A3B