question about panel size guideline

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Dec 31 08:57:22 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, December 27, 2011 21:16:19 Reza Shah wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While doing bug triaging, i found some bugs related to the panel
> behavior or property.
>
> so, do we have some guideline regarding the panel for example:
> - minimum size or maximum size

max size is currently 1/3rd of the screen
min size is currently 16px.

> - behavior of each component put inside panel when panel grow or shrink

they must shrink down to an appropriate size (this can include hiding/showing
parts of the UI) and/or or become a popup when there is not enough room.

the system tray currently violates this as the xembed icons have a set minimum
size that we can do very little about as they are out of process embedded
windows. probably all xembed icons should be moved to the hidden area when the
area allow for the tray is less than the height/width of an xembed entry.

the tasks widget similarly does not scale visually down below 22px very
nicely. the count below the arrow on groups is too tall, the frame too thick
on small panels.

humru othro a kohnu se