flowout proposal

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 15:18:06 UTC 2011

Hi plasma folks,

I've had this idea for quite a few years and made a mockup for it in 2009
[1]. At that time it was even for an entirely new desktop environment based
on DirectFB [2], but that idea never came of the ground. Also, the
"flowout" that i wanted was at that time possible but just a bit to
difficult in C++ for no real gain (eye candy). However, since about a year
or so (since the introduction of QML) it became possible with a lot less
effort and thus i spend some time making the flowout idea in QML which you
can download and see for yourself here [3] (note, 2 issues. The flickering
you will see is fixed in QtQuick 2.0. Qt isn't going to backport it sadly.
Another issue is the flowout image is scaling during animation which might
not be best, but i don't know how to resolve that)

Besides that this is pure eye candy, it does make the desktop just look
more polished when the menu folds out like that and just seems to be nicely
integrated in the panel. This idea should imho be extended to more elements:
- System tray
- Thumbnail preview
- Menu bars

Would it be possible to implement this idea in KDE?
Or let me ask it differently, what needs to happen in KDE to even be able
to implement it in KDE?

Please do let me know what you think of it.

Kind regards,
Mark

[1]
http://mde.mageprojects.com/images/MDE%20-%20Marks-Desktop-Environment%20-%20menu_paths.png