Review Request: Change activity by rolling the mouse wheel over the showActivityManager widget.

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Dec 27 21:09:33 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 27 December 2011 21:49:24 Guillaume DE BURE wrote:
> I use the keyboard shortcut (meta + tab) quite often. However I remember
> once someone (maybe, marco ?) proposed an "exposé like" effect, with
> activities as rows, and desktop as columns. That could be extremely useful,
> especially for dragging windows between desktop / activities. Does that
> still sound like a good idea ? Would it be difficult to do ?
There is one problem with that: when an activity is closed we do not know
which windows are there. If an activity is suspended we most likely due not
have a pixmap for this window as the driver discarded it for the long time
unmapped window. So unless someone has a genious idea how to get thumbnails of
non existing windows, it will be difficult to implement :-)

(The genious idea might be as simple as storing screenshots from the window
when it got closed, activity switched, whatever. 4.9 will hopefully see nice
QML bindings in KWin, so that might be implementable. Help welcome)

Cheers
Martin