questions about Plasma Package

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Dec 27 11:39:23 UTC 2011

Hey Giorgos,

On Saturday, December 24, 2011 16:05:31 Giorgos Tsiapaliwkas wrote:
> here some questions about the plasma package
>
> 1.every plasmoid has these 3 dirs code,data,animations.
> What kind of files should exist in those 3?
> Does those 3 have any "special" effects to the plasmoids like the
> ui/config.ui?

No side-effects. Basically, the only thing you need is a metadata.desktop file
and a mainscript (which is defined in the metadata.desktop file). The rest,
(including names of directories inside content) is just eye-candy. Just delete
what's not needed.

> 2.in the declarative-plasmoids repository there is a
> plasma-applet-$plasmoid.desktop file which
> has the same contents as the desktop file in contents/metadata.desktop.
> Do we need both of them? (cmake is making just a copy)

It's the same file, different name:

metadata.desktop : definition for the package
plasma-applet-$plasmoid.desktop : this is how the KDE plugin loader finds the
applets. The best way is indeed to have cmake copy the metadata.desktop file.
And yep, we need both.

> here, http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Package
>
> it mentions that every plasmoid's root dir must follow this name policy.
> $PlasmoidName-$PlasmoidVersion,
>
> in the declarative plasmoids this policy is not being followed.
> Doesn't the policy apply anymore?

This policy seems new to me, I don't think it applies right now (but don't
really know if it should, or if we found a good reason for it not to).

> I want to give some love in this wiki page,so if you want something to
> be changed please let me know.

Hope the above helps :)
--
sebas