Kickoff w/Breadcrumbs in QML

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Dec 23 18:26:49 UTC 2011

On Friday 23 December 2011 13:15:22 Xavier Sythe wrote:
> Just to confirm, does the QML Kickoff still have keyboard navigation?
> I think that it would be a good idea to not only add support for a mouse's
> back button, but also the standard backspace key on keyboards.
> This would enable full navigation of Kickoff solely with the keyboard, a
> feature which, until now, has been limited by the lack of a back button
> shortcut.
It's something I still have to work on. Primitive navigation (up/down) in the
list is working, everything else not yet. If placed in the panel it's not
working at all. Adding these things is rather simple once I figured out where
I have to add the keyboard handling, so that QML plays nice :-)

>  As for the UI back button, Novell's usability team did determine that it
> was needed.
> Who are we, as non-UX professionals, to argue against this decision?
Do you have a link to the study? I tried to find it, but could only find the
presentations at Akademy and FOSDEM which did not contain the reasons for the
design, but just the results compared to other launchers.

> And, as for the terminology used for the classic, KDE3-style panel, I
> believe that "classic" would be the best term, NOT KDE3.
> As well, I don't see much of a use case for the classic panel being
> included in Plasma by default.  Available from KDE-Look, certainly, but
> KDE3's days were long ago.
Even classic I find sub-optimal. It's like next generation just the other way
around. Imagine we have a new launcher next year. Then we would have to rename
Kickoff to classic, but how to call the classic one. Really classic, old
classic?

Nevertheless: still better than KDE 3 ;-)

Cheers
Martin