Breadcrumbs in Kickoff

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 16:43:29 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:
>> Would you support removing the back button from Dolphin, in favour of just
>> breadcrumbs?
>> I doubt that anyone would support that.
> I thought about it and I had to open Dolphin to verify that there is a back
> button at all. I doubt I have used the back button during the last few years.
> So yes I would support that.

I would not support this, but for a different reason.  The "back"
button in the kickoff menu isn't really a "back" button in the same
way the Dolphin one is.

The dolphin back button, like back buttons in every other file manager
or web browser I have ever used,  takes you to the previously-visited
directory, not matter how far that directory may be from your current
location.

The "back" button in kickoff did not work like this.  Instead, it took
you to the parent directory of the current directory.  In that way it
is much more like Dolphin's "Up" button.  This button in Dolphin, and
other file managers and web browsers, takes you to the parent
directory of the current directory.  Konqueror has an "up" button by
default.  In Dolphin, however, this button has been removed in favor
of using the breadcrumb bar.  So if we are comparing dolphin and
kickoff, then the breadcrumbs in kickoff are much more likely dolphin,
while the old version is more like konqueror.  The button is still
available in Dolphin, I assume for people who use the traditional
navigation bar, but it is not in the toolbar by default.

I think removing the up button in dolphin and kickoff was a good idea.
 I think removing the back button in dolphin, however, would not be,
since it makes it much quicker to move to directories that are not
direct parents of the current directory (I us it for this purpose a
lot).

-Todd