Runner runOptions Guidelines

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Mon Dec 12 15:47:42 UTC 2011

On Monday 16 Kislev 5772 15:41:54 Mark wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 9:38 PM, David Baron <d_baron at 012.net.il> wrote:
> > Run options as menus (shown at mouse position at right-icon) close when
> > an action is clicked.
> >
> > Run options shown in the widge with buttons, fields, etc., appearing
> > below the
> > match, persist when clicked. This means several may be open at once which
> > might not be the best idea, side-effects if not syncronized, etc.
> >
> > What are the guidelines or criteria which to use? ("Run foobar" uses the
> > latter but there will only be ONE match for this.)
> >
> > If the widget idea be preferred, can this be set to either dissappear
> > when a
> > selection is clicked or dissappear when it loses focus or another widget
> > is so-exercised?
>
> I really have no clue what you're talking about and i'm far from a KDE n00b

A runner can have actions which are done with icons over the results towards
the right end and/or can have runoptions which are exercised by clicking a
config icon on the right end of the pane. Most runners do not use any of this.

I have been experimenting with UI for my recollrunner. Actions work despite
some bugs in the icon placements but yield a pane full of icons (text searched
yield many hits). Run option icon interferes less but one can choose one's
poison.

One runner which will run an app with a 100% hit adds choice beneath the
match's text, like in the device notifier. I tried this but these do not close
unless one reclicks the icon. Since parameters being set by these are program-
wide, this can be a complication.

The other alternative is to use a menu rather than a widget with buttons, etc.
The menu closes as soon as one click it. I will probably go with this because
it is simplest.

Question I asked concerned UI guidelines for using these devices.