Data Engine/QML/Python Guidance Needed

Eric Mesa ericsbinaryworld at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 04:16:51 UTC 2011

On Monday, August 15, 2011 10:15:35 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 5:34 AM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> > > complex types from Python will not be able to be used from users of
> > > the>
>
> DataEngine. the data is being exported from the Python runtime, after
>
> > > all. you'll need to simplify the returns, e.g. turn the XML into a
> > > string and the> provide the list as a separate key/value pair.

OK, trying to get a bit of help formatting things for the data engine.  Here's
the relevant code in "views":

(begin code)
def analyzeviews(group_key):
    #Get my photos from the views pool
    pages = 1
    group_photos = flickr.groups_pools_getPhotos(group_id=group_key,
user_id=user, per_page=perpage, page=pages)
    print "Status: " + group_photos['stat'] + "\tViews: %d Pictures in group:
%s" % (numerical_views[group_key], group_photos.photos[0]['total'])
    photoinfo =[]
    if group_photos.photos[0]['total'] != "" and int(group_photos.photos[0]
['total']) > 0:
        ids25 = [i['id'] for i in group_photos.photos[0].photo]
        for id in ids25:
            #print id
            photoinfo.append(flickr.photos_getinfo(photo_id=id))

        for number in range (1, int(group_photos.photos[0]['pages'])):
            pages = pages + 1
            group_photos = flickr.groups_pools_getPhotos(group_id=group_key,
user_id=user, per_page=perpage, page=pages)
            ids25 = [i['id'] for i in group_photos.photos[0].photo]
            for id in ids25:
                #print id
                photoinfo.append(flickr.photos_getinfo(photo_id=id))
    print "done grabbing photos" #debugging
    return photoinfo
(end code)

 So, I realized that I didn't need to return a tuple, that was left over from
a previous idea I'd had with the script.  So now I'm returning a list of XML
objects.  So I'm partway there.

So, I'm just curious about the best way of doing this.  I was thinking of
changing  photoinfo.append(flickr.photos_getinfo(photo_id=id)) to
photoinfo.append(str(flickr.photos_getinfo(photo_id=id)))

and then I was going to change return photoinfo to return str(photoinfo) is
that the best way to do it?

Thanks!
Eric Mesa