GLES again

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Aug 15 21:35:35 UTC 2011

hey all,

I've been poking at running kwin using OpenGL-ES again, and made some progress
there. I now have Mesa builds that provide the needed GLES libraries, thanks
to help from Martin with configuring it. It builds and runs fine on my laptop
(Mesa package, kde-workspace from the 4.7 branch. CMake finds OpenGL-ES and
says that it's building the mobile version of kwin. Kwin starts, and
apparently works, I notice no major difference. So far so good. Building the
package, however throws me a linker error when linking kwin against libgbm.

I've two problems left:

- Is it really using GLES?

When starting KWin, it outputs:
kwin(24933) KWin::CompositingPrefs::detect: glx version is  1 . 4
OpenGL vendor string:                   Tungsten Graphics, Inc
OpenGL renderer string:                 Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Mobile
OpenGL version string:                  2.1 Mesa 7.11-rc3
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
Driver:                                 Intel
GPU class:                              i965
OpenGL version:                         2.1
GLSL version:                           1.20
Mesa version:                           7.11
X server version:                       1.9.3
Linux kernel version:                   3.0
Direct rendering:                       yes
Requires strict binding:                yes
GLSL shaders:                           yes
Texture NPOT support:                   yes

This looks like it's using the desktop GLX, or does it?

- Linker problem during package build:

/usr/lib/libgbm.so.1: undefined reference to `gbm_dri_backend'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [kwin/kwin] Error 1

This works when building from source, but not during packages. (Source is the
same, I've packaged the code from the same git clone I've built locally.) I'm
quite puzzled here, maybe someone has a pointer where to start looking?

sebas