need some clarifications regarding libplasma2 and plasmagik

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Aug 10 11:53:02 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, August 9, 2011 14:57:12 Giorgos Tsiapaliwkas wrote:
> 1)If i understood correctly from the notmarts blog post eventually
> plasma-desktop/netbook/active will have the same core code and just the uiis
> going to change from shell to shell. Is that correct?

that is, in fact, what we already do :)

> The QMLify will happen after the release of libplasma2?

it is alreayd happening and does not rely on libplasma2 being completed.

> Also will the plasmoids use the plasmagik package structure?

yes, that is not changing.

> 3)since plasma active's development is going very good,is going to be
> areplacement of plasma-netbook with plasma-active?

no; plasma netbook will remain for the specific use case of netbooks which are
smaller, meant for mobile use (rather than, e.g., office use as just a
tiny/cheap laptop) but still driven by keyboard+mouse/trackpad

> 4) plasma active is not based on libplasma and it will never be.Correct?

no, it uses libplasma now and will continue to do so in the future. libplasma
is there to share code and ensure consistency.

> Why we need two core libs (libplasma and the active one) instead of one??

we don't need two. and there aren't two. :)

humru othro a kohnu se