Contribution proposal: Easier way to move windows between activities

Andreas Demmer mail at andreas-demmer.de
Sat Aug 6 09:50:38 UTC 2011

Hi,

I recently started to use activities efficiently at work: One activity per
project which makes it easy to have the according project folders opened etc.

One major pain I ran into was to move windows from one activity to another.
E.g. when working on activity 1 and recieving an instant message via kopete,
the chat window will open in the current activity when it was not open before.
If I notice now, that the chat is related to activity 2, it would be nice to
easily move the chat window to activity 2. Instead, I have to right-click the
title bar, select activities, check activity 2. Afterwards I have to right-
click the title bar again, select activities and uncheck activity 1. This is
way to unconvenient!

My idea: Drag drag and hold the window over the activity plasmoid in the
controlbar which would open the activity switcher. Now I continue to drag the
window over the activity to which I would like to move it and drop it.

I want to contribute this but would like to ask a few prerequisites. First: Is
this behaviour compliant with how the plasma-desktop should feel like or does
someone have a better suggestion how the workflow should be like?

Second: I see from the pastebin plasmoid, that plasmoids already seem to
support dragging things on them. Is it already possible do react on window-
drag or does this have implications to add this feature to KWin? Maybe Martin
can shed some light on this.

Greets,
Andreas

--