SoK idea: Improve krunner result displaying and navigation.

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Apr 30 09:21:06 CEST 2011

On Friday, April 29, 2011 23:57:57 Luiz Romário Santana Rios wrote:
> 2011/4/29 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>

> > each

> > item

> > > Well, I thought about showing only the most relevant results for
> > > each
> > > category and priorizing the category with the most relevant results.
> > > If a
> >
> > which is almost always going to be the nepomuk search ;)
> >
> > > user want to see more results for that category, they would just
> > > need to expand it. I'll do some mockups for that and will post
> > > here.
> >
> > sounds good; mockups always help.
>
> Here's one:
> http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_V8ZPvFyTxNc/Tbty2kU7CII/AAAAAAAAARs/v_Ut1J
> 8P4DQ/01%20-%20Expand%20and%20Shrink%20less%20relevant%20results.png
>
> It's bad, I know, I suck at making mockups, but it gives part of the idea of
> what I mean.

wire frame mockups like that one are just fine. they let one concentrate on
the structure rather than get distracted by shiny things ;)

> Notice that I show two different ways of expanding the results
> in it. I think the button is better, but it takes too much space, so I'm

and what would be the workflow to expand / collapse / run?

an important part of krunner is being able to very quickly type and execute.
the UI is not fancy, but it is designed for speed.

> > then the Nepomuk runner needs tweaking in how it rates results.
>
> So this is the first thing we should do, I guess.

it's definitely a good starting point. :)

> What I meant was that I think it's better to wait one or two seconds after
> the user stops typing so that krunner doesn't start querying with an
> incomplete string.

that would probably ruin one of the main features of krunner: match as you
type.

> I also think it would give focus to the main result, if
> there's one, but I may be wrong.

it already does.

> Weird. Should it work if I just type in something and then press the down
> arrow?

yes...

> Well, I will stop and think over this project and get back with better
> summarized idead and more mockups tomorrow.

:)

humru othro a kohnu se