Review Request: Simplify the comic config ui

Matthias Fuchs mat69 at gmx.net
Wed Apr 27 19:21:07 CEST 2011

Am Mittwoch 27 April 2011, 19:02:32 schrieb todd rme:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 12:02 PM, Matthias Fuchs <mat69 at gmx.net> wrote:
> >  On April 27th, 2011, 12:29 p.m., *Aaron J. Seigo* wrote:
> > great steps towards improvements; one further set of improvements is to
> > get rid of the checkbox+spinner combos. instead, try sth like:
> >
> > Comics cache: [ No size limit ] <== where No Limit is a "special text
> > value" for, e.g., 0 which does the same as not checking the checkbox; a
> > suffix of, e.g. " strips per comic" would help further disambiguate ("2
> > strips per comic")
> >
> > Automatic update: [ Never ] <== Never is the special text for 0 (and
> > equal to unchecking the box), and other values would be "Every %1 days";
> > or perhaps even get rid of "no automatic update" and just have
> > "Automatic update: [ Daily / Every %1 Days ]"
> >
> >  Thanks a lot for your input!
> >
> > I also added the ideas you mentioned above and commited it now. Is way
> > more clear than it was before. :)
> >

> > - Matthias
>
> > I couple quick points:
> What does middle-clicking on a comic do if the box about "show at original
> size" is not checked?  It isn't clear.  Does it do anything?  If not, what
> is the reason for having this option at all?  Can't people who don't want
> to see it at its original size just not middle click?

The middle click part has nothing to do with the context size part.
The reason to implement this option was to inform the users of the existence
of middle click. And I thought this is a better way, than to move it into some
help pages which hardly anyone would bother to read for a comic program.

One case where this is quite useful is, if you are looking at large comics and
do not have "Actual size" enabled. Then middle clicking on the comic will
display it as a kind of overlay spanning the whole screen --> hard to
describe, best is to try it. :)

> If you get rid of that, you could also get rid of the "Comic" and "Update"
> headers.  If you don't want to, "Update" has a colon while "Comic",
> "Cache", and "Error Handling" don't. This may or may not be a typo.

I want to keep the update part as I want to add a way for automatically
checking for new comic strips. Note this is not the same as checking for
updates. Thx for the colon, did not notice that.

> You also have "Comic" twice, once as a header and once as a title for the
> list of comics.  This is probably redundant, I think it is clear that the
> list is the list of comics.
>
> It is unclear what will happen if the "show error message" check box is not
> clicked.  Does the tooltip make clear what not checking this box would do?

No, there is no further information. The error message will displayed as image
in the comic applet, as if it was a normal comic strip.