GSoC QMLify plasmoids proposal

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 17:22:59 CEST 2011

On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 4:20 AM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday 01 April 2011, todd rme wrote:
>> I think you are misunderstanding my suggestion.  The suggestion is
>> that, as part of the QMLifying of the kickoff widget, you first create
>> separate widgets for each of the kickoff tabs, then use what you
>> programmed for those to create the kickoff widget.  So you would get
>> these automatically as part of the development of the kickoff widget.
>> I am not sure this is a good approach, it is just an idea.
>
> nah, we are again in the applet-in-applet issue, that is something i for sure
> don't want to start support, not even in plasma2.
> and, as Artur noted, porting kickoff will be an hell, better to keep it as the
> very last :)
>
> --
> Marco Martin

I am not saying that you would be able to drag-and-drop widgets onto
kickoff, I saying it might be easier to write the code for the tabs as
stand-alone widgets, get those working properly, then use the same
code as part of the kickoff widget.  They would be entirely separate
widgets, but kickoff would use code copied-and-pasted from the
individual widgets (or there might be some better object-oriented
means of doing it, I don't know enough about QML and javascript to
say).  I just thought it might be easier to write it in parts first,
then combine the code from the parts, rather the writing everything at
once.

-Todd