KDE/kdebase/workspace/kwin

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Sep 25 21:14:23 CEST 2010

On Saturday, September 25, 2010, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > > Yep, duplicating the menu is just a bad idea. Actually we have it three
> > > times: one time in kwin, one time for the taskmanager and one time
> > > duplicated in Compiz. Could we get this menu as a shared lib? This
> > > would also be nice as we could get the window tab features into the
> > > tasks menu.
> >
> > ouchies. yeah, there's gotta be a way to deduplicate that code.. right?
>
> Yes, should be possible. I assume the more tricky part is adjusting kwin,
> but at least it will force us to make window tabbing available to the task
> manager.

which would be great :)

so .. menu code. in workspace/libs/taskmanager/taskactions.* there are already
standard menus.

for this to work for kwin, i suppose we'd need to make it use WId's directly
instead of the Task objects it currently does internally (those are reference
counted wrappers around KWinInfo with some additional sugar; useful for
libtaskmanager, but not needed in the menus, really, so the menu code could be
adjusted)

we could put this menu code in libkworkspace and the menu methods in
libtaskmanager would use those internally. everything that uses libtaskmanager
currently also pulls in libkworkspace at some point or another, so it
shouldn't be any problem from the plasma perspective.

what do you think, Martin?

humru othro a kohnu se