Blocking mouse on entering non reachable areas in multi-screen setups

Asraniel asraniel at fryx.ch
Fri Sep 24 08:43:01 CEST 2010

Am Donnerstag 23 September 2010, um 22.47:42 schrieb Martin Gräßlin:
> On Thursday 23 September 2010 22:35:19 todd rme wrote:
> > There is already a tool called noenter that worked pretty well, but it
> > won't compile.  At the very least fixing that and letting people who
> > want to compile it themselves would be nice.
> >
> > But, since noeneter works, it is possible to detect where invisible
> > portions of the screen are.  And, from what someone said in the other
> > thread, it is possible to teleport mice.  So the remaining question is
> > whether it is possible to detect whether there is a screen on the
> > other side of a blank portion.  If there is, then it should be
> > possible to handle the situation you describe.
>
> Please note: I just showed one obvious way how this can result in problems.
> I can think of many more. So I truly doubt that noenter "worked pretty
> well" and the fact that it doesn't compile is for me a sign that it is so
> broken that whoever worked on it abandoned it for good.

For me it compiled very recently.

But one thing i would like to mention. I doubt x.org will ever fix that. we
have seen it with the tooltip hole bug that was never fixed, and now we needed
to implement a workaround.
Sure, we can just blame x.org for that the next 5 years, but i doubt that will
benefit the users in the end.

noenter worked quite well for me on my dualscreen setup (with different
resolutions). Sure, it needs some improvements, but the basics are working.
I might be naif, but for me such a feature doesn't sound that hard to code, in
the end its just collision detection code with some special cases.
And i don't think a separate programm should be needed for it to work, but
that probably kwin should handel it.

anyway, would be nice to see a solution :)

have a nice day

Beat Wolf