today's meeting notes

Artur de Souza asouza at kde.org
Mon Sep 13 14:36:19 CEST 2010

Quoting Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com>:
> well, not really faster, since the binding of the widgets is exactly the only
> part that right now is finished and working perfectly.
> the problem as usual, is the layouting, bad interaction between the qgw based
> ones and qdi based ones, but at least is possible to obtain decent results
> using only, or almost only qgw based ones (i still fear the lack of a real
> layout system and size hints is going to bite really hard, especially on non-
> mobile)

Yes, layouting and a lot of other things that are not working well
with qgw. Alexis did a really amazing job on this when he was working
with QML but this is no longer maintained and keeping the hope that
it's going to work is just "false hope" unfortunately :(.

The problem with creating qdi based ones is that we can suffer of the
proxy->proxy problem. The KDE-pim guys tried this and it just made
things worse. To properly do this you almost have to duplicate what
qgraphicsproxywidget does. So, it's really easier to just change the
way we do widgets. It has been some months now that we tried different
approaches and going a step back will allow us to go two further later,

> would probably just be needed a qdi subclass that can draw svg and framesvg,
> to be used in place of the rather ugly BorderImage. Theme colors are already
> binded

This may be needed, but I thought that svg was supported on qml already...