Why rotate widgets?

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 18:05:31 CEST 2010

I personally use it in two different ways.  One is that I have my
sticky note rotated a little bit to make it more visually distinctive.
 The other is that I have two fuzzy clocks rotated so their left edges
are roughly tangent to the edge of the clock where they touch it
(about 30 degrees above and below the left edge).  I also used a
rotated eyes as an example and had a upside-down bkodoma widget which
made it look like he was walking on the ceiling.

Another possibility for the icon: what if you made it similar to the
resize icon, a rectangle?  The rectangle would be rotated a little bit
(maybe 10-45 degrees).  A couple things could be added to make it more
clear.  One possibility would be to have a second rectangle in the
background, occluded by the first rectangle except for the corners.
Another would be some of arrows or vibrations to indicate the
rectangle is moving.  I attached a mockup of an example.

-Todd