KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/generic/applets/systemtray/core

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Oct 31 17:21:58 CET 2010

On Sunday, October 31, 2010, Giulio Camuffo wrote:
> In data domenica 31 ottobre 2010 16:41:56, Aaron J. Seigo ha scritto:
> > the # of people and the # of times that this will cause real errors
> > versus the problems caused by not being able to distinguish attention
> > needers versus non- attention needers means this change probably makes
> > no sense.
> >
> > yes, there are downsides to both ways of doing it. but now we're
> > optimizing for the fringe case.
>
> I'm not an usability expert, but i think that moving icons under the mouse
> cursor is a rather grave usability issue.

most of the time the mouse isn't over the icon. as i said, it is now optimized
for the _fringe case_.

if we really want to make sure we don't move icons when the mouse is over
them, then before promoting the icon to the status area, check for the icon
(or the system tray in general) being hovered. if it isn't, then move the
icon. if it is, then mark the icon as needing to be moved and make the
necessary move (if still needed) when the mouse moves out of the system tray.

> The user shouldn't look at the
> systray to see where the icon is, he should look at the application and be
> sure that where there previously was the icon there is still the same
> icon.

this is irrelevant for hiding icons, of course, so isn't a generally
applicable statement to icons and needing attention.

and when it comes to "needing attention" that is something needs to be relayed
to the user. that's the entire point of it. so as i outlined in my previous
email: come up with a reliable and functional visual effect that can be
applied to all attention needing icons.

breaking something to fix something else isn't a great solution, and that's
what we now have.

let's not even get into the fact that this is a change in behaviour which
means the learned stimulus is going to change on our existing users, which
will result in a period of perceived brokenness for those who are used to it
and rely on that movement to note such things, which will translate into lower
satisfaction for them and a period of "i don't quite trust this part of the
UI".

> And i already explained why i don't think that moving an icon in the first
> place makes it so clear it requests attention.

a) it's a learned stimulus; it's not perhaps immediately obvious, but it
becomes expected

b) it moves; that tends to catch attention.

c) it clusters icons of similar meaning

humru othro a kohnu se