"new activity" choices

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Oct 31 17:14:31 CET 2010

On Sunday, October 31, 2010, Chani wrote:
> -remove the choice of plugins, default to "desktop"

which effectively relegates them to a hidden option. it's really not
discoverable when it is in the configuration dialog.

worse is when you really _do_ want to use, say, "Grouping Desktop". then you
have to create an activity, then go to its configuration dialog and make
changes there. versus just selecting what you want right away.

being able to say "i want a Grouping Desktop" is much more like what we do in
the real world as well: we open a drawer and select the tool we want. we don't
very often pull out a hammer every time and then turn the hammer into a
screwdriver later on.

and what's the difference, to the user, between a plugin and a scripted
template? i don't think there is any, really: they both create a type of
layout for your activity. that one is a stand alone plugin and one is a script
that loads stand alone plugins is pretty much an irrelevant detail.

> -put one "empty desktop" option in the root menu

aligns well with "Empty panel".

> -put templates in a sub-menu (if there's >1 of course)

agreed. and put plugins in there too. be sure to alphabetize the list :)

> and perhaps also:
> -put one good template in the root menu.

"empty desktop" is that good template, no?

so we'd get:

Empty desktop
Clone current activity
Templates ->