Improving the searchbox applet

Onur-Hayri Bakici thehayro at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 13:34:40 CEST 2010

I recently let the netbook containment on my netbook and i am really heavily
impressed. Great job!
Moreover i discovered the searchbox applet, which pretty much belongs to my
daily use case
However i also came accross tiny things that I am not 100%ly happy with.
I would like to extend the applet a little bit with this idea: Since all
windows disappear when you enter text in the searchbox widget, instead i would
like to list the searchresults underneath the textbox widget, due to
"distractions" in the user's workflow.
Therefore it is easier for the user to return to his/her recent task. It
probably will look like spotlight from apple OS but imo
it is important not to disturb the user with maximized searchresults.

I integrated the krunnermodel into the applet, but i did not find a reasonable
view to display the searchresults.
I tried Plasma::TreeView, however do not think that the searchresults should
be displayed on a white background with the "plasma-themed" panel.

My question is: What is the best recommondation to display the results that
look nice on the plasma panel, without reimplementing a view?

cheers