getting involved with plasma

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 11:26:36 CEST 2010

On October 20, 2010 11:06:05 Giorgos Tsiapaliokas wrote:
> which is the best supported language for making a "beautiful" plasmoid?
> i know that i have to learn qt programming,but what exacly??

javascript.
if you want to make a complicated plasmoid then c++ may be better (but, don't
do that yet. start simple.)
there are qt tutorials and plasma tutorials online. :)
and you should read the source of good plasmoids.

http://doc.trolltech.com/latest/tutorials.html
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Plasma
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdeexamples/plasma

you should also learn svn if you don't know it... here, this will be useful:
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started

> someone who wants to contribute to plasma what exactly has to do?
> create plasmoids or fixing plasma bugs or both?

it's not what you *have* to do, it's what you *want* to do. :)
writing plasmoids can be fun. Fixing bugs will make users happy. Helping write
documentation will make other developers love you. ;) There's lots of ways to
contribute.

> i am a newbie as it concerns the whole contributing issue,do i need a
> mentor??

nah, you don't *need* a mentor. But if you want one, we can help. Come to
#plasma on irc.freenode.net (you know IRC right?), ask questions there or
here, someone will answer. :)

--
Chani
http://chani.ca