Themeable Small Arrows

Ingomar Wesp ingomar at wesp.name
Tue Oct 12 16:45:45 CEST 2010

Hey!

I'd like to pick up a discussion we had some time before I went on my summer
hiatus. Basically I wanted to ask about making the themeable extender
currently shown by the systray applet available to other applets that wish to
provide similar functionality. IMHO, this would help improve visual
consistency quite a bit. The original discussion can be found at
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.plasma/12082>. Since systray
uses arrow icons from its own SVG which should not be used by other applets,
the suggestion by Martin Marco (if I understood him correctly) was to:

1.) change the systray applet to use the generic arrows.svg
2.) provide smaller arrows in addition to the normal ones in arrows.svg
3.) let the theme choose which ones to use based on the available size

Providing a patch for systray that does (1) is quite trivial.
However, I don't see how (3) is even possible. How would Plasma::SVG know
which element from the SVG it should choose?

In any case: Should I post a patch for (1) for review?

Best wishes,
Ingo