Plasma on N810

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 4 15:04:09 CEST 2010

On Monday 04 October 2010 12:33:16 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Monday 04 October 2010, Jeffery MacEachern wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 04:15, Artur de Souza <asouza at kde.org> wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > Take a look at plasma-mobile as it should be "lighter" and more mobile
> > > oriented than plasma-desktop.
> >
> > Thanks, I intended to.  I just hadn't seen any talk of Plasma of any
> > sort running on a device that old as of late, and wanted to see if
> > anyone had been poking at it before undertaking the poking myself. :)
>
> it's been quite a long time i built kde on the n810 (i think it was with Qt
> 4.5) so it should have gotten a bit better (both in terms of Qt speed and
> our fixes/optimizations in plasma) at the time  it did ran but was really
> too slow to be usable
>
> Cheers,
> Marco Martin

The problem I ran into when looking at it recently for an N800 is the Qt
version required.  The final OS2008/Maemo Diablo version of Qt in the repos is
Qt 4.5, which is not enough to build KDE SC 4.4 or later, so you would need to
build your own version of Qt as well as many other libraries that KDE depends
on.  You might have better luck investigating if the MeeGo skunkworks project
for N810 is ready yet.

John.