Review Request: The KSystemActivityDialog uses MB as default unit.

Matthias Fuchs mat69 at gmx.net
Tue Nov 30 18:52:46 CET 2010

Am Dienstag 30 November 2010, 18:05:04 schrieb Sebastian Kügler:
> On Tuesday, November 30, 2010 17:08:52 Matthias Fuchs wrote:
> > >
> > > How do you mean "fit best"?
> > >
> > > In short, I think consistency trumps everything else.
> >
> > Yes that is what I think too, that is why we should maybe make it like
> > Dolphin.
> >
> > e.g. memory usage of 3 programs (I assume a base of 10 here, as it makes
> > the example easier)
> > 1) 56 K
> > 2) 3,744 K
> > 3) 5,019,112 K
> >
> > how it is displayed to the user:
> > 1) 56 K
> > 2) 3.7 M
> > 3) 5 G
> >
> > What would be used as "K", "M" depends on the global settings, so either
> > "MiB" or "MB" would be displayed.
> >

> > Alternatively adding seperators to make the numbers more readable could
> > be an option:
> > firefox  matthias  3% 650,292 K
> > vs as it is now
> > firefox  matthias  3% 650292 K
> >

> > I hope my thoughs are better understandable now. :)
>
> Not really. I don't get why you bother with these units _at_all_. You
> simply shouldn't make up how things are displayed, that's the task of
> KLocale. Please have a look at
> http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdelibs-
> apidocs/kdecore/html/classKLocale.html#a566a3d868abfca050e1191b16e85ed73

Then please start the KSystemActivityDialog and look at the units that are
used there now. Maybe then what I mentioned above makes more sense to you.

Actually the first suggestion would use KLocale::formatByteSize , while the
second one would keep the current state, yet still makeing the numbers more
readable imho.