Review Request: The KSystemActivityDialog uses MB as default unit.

Matthias Fuchs mat69 at gmx.net
Tue Nov 30 17:08:52 CET 2010

Am Montag 29 November 2010, 23:02:50 schrieb Sebastian Kügler:
> On Monday, November 29, 2010 22:25:29 Matthias Fuchs wrote:
> > What do you think on the idea I mentioned above, i.e. not using one
> > "size" (KB, MB), but those that fit best, like in Dolphin? Actually only
> > if it is possible from an implementation point of view (is BC/SC needed
> > here?)
>
> How do you mean "fit best"?
>
> In short, I think consistency trumps everything else.

Yes that is what I think too, that is why we should maybe make it like
Dolphin.

e.g. memory usage of 3 programs (I assume a base of 10 here, as it makes the
example easier)
1) 56 K
2) 3,744 K
3) 5,019,112 K

how it is displayed to the user:
1) 56 K
2) 3.7 M
3) 5 G

What would be used as "K", "M" depends on the global settings, so either "MiB"
or "MB" would be displayed.

Alternatively adding seperators to make the numbers more readable could be an
option:
firefox  matthias  3% 650,292 K
vs as it is now
firefox  matthias  3% 650292 K

I hope my thoughs are better understandable now. :)