dreaming...

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Mon May 31 21:22:49 CEST 2010

(apologies for topposting- gmail web interface on n900 dois not
exactly pleasant to use) also, backspace stopped working again so
sorry for typos... oy, there goes th enter key. anywos, jos, you
should start by finding out how much of this aleix is going to do.
hen... seemsto me hardest part of this is the fact that our apps are
c++. dowtt.. the  code needs to  compile whiceh means a dev env. needs
settitng up. it has to be installed somewhe. there neeods to be a tool
to uninstall iif the user messes up the app, etc, etc..  lots of
things to consider.  now is not really the best time as people are
either focused on the release or starting their gsoc projects.
personally i will be busy this this summer but i hope you can find
someone.. they would htave to doa fair b it of planning. maybe the c++
part alone could be a full gsoc pject

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 May 2010 22:15:10 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> A question, and I'll try to keep it short. It is about a VERY immature
>> funding *idea*. No expectations please...
>>
>> The idea is that we do have a dream - make development easy.
>>
>> It is about connecting some dots: GHNS/KNX, the OBS, Opendesktop.org
>> and KDevelop/Plasmate. I think ya'll know what I mean.
>>
>> Example: user works with KWrite, sees an bug, clicks for example the
>> 'help' menu, chooses 'develop this app' and 5 minutes later the
>> sources are automatically downloaded from svn/git, -devel packages
>> installed and he/she is looking at the source file of KWrite in
>> KDevelop. Once the fix has been made, click on 'send for review', and
>> it's posted on review board. Or published on KDE-apps.org, where
>> packages for a dozen distributions are compiled automatically by OBS
>> (including feedback on build errors).
>>
>> Similar story with Plasmate - see plasmoid, like, click 'edit'
>> somewhere, it gets downloaded from GHNX/KNX, you code, and click
>> upload to share it (in case of C++, OBS again comes in to compile it).
>>
>> Now this is all lovely, and we have most of the infrastructure, but
>> the dots still need to be connected. Doesn't that sound like something
>> beautiful to have funding for? Yep, it does. However, potential
>> investors will want to know how expensive it would be and how much
>> time it would cost. Yes, even if you just trow around wild ideas like
>> I just did it helps a lot to have (raw) numbers. And as I'm neither a
>> developer nor expert in any of the technologies I mentioned, I can't
>> give even the vaguest clue as to how much time/effort this would cost.
>>
>> So for the two scenario's above, who can throw a thumb in the air and
>> guestimate the number of man-weeks/months or say "3 guys/girls, 6
>> months" or something? And, also important, do we have the people to do
>> it, are there developers here who would be willing and capable?
>>
>> Again, I don't have much hope for funding, but it never hurts to try...
>
> Ok all, I know an immature idea with little hope off success might not be very
> attractive - but it never hurts to try. Anyone has any input?

This message brought to you by evyl bananas and the number 3.
www.chani3.com