4.5 polishment: krunner (under_the_hood)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon May 31 19:44:06 CEST 2010

On May 30, 2010, Lukas Appelhans wrote:
> Anyway, there are some problems to implement it in the krunner-core (which
> unfortunately is in kdelibs afaik)...
>
> So, I split out a library for usage with statistics at Tokamak already,
> which we could use here, but it a) depends on Nepomuk and b) is needed
> inside krunner-core... means it would need to go to kdelibs...

yes, this is too late for 4.5, but as Ivan noted we can make this happen in
4.6.

as for putting this into libplasma, that shouldn't be a problem.
Plasma::RunnerManager does all the gathering and running of matches, so all
the code can be put into RunnerManager without any API additions (unless we
want to allow the application to configure how this works, but that should
only require some binary compatible setters/getters).

if we want this to be available to other components (e.g. application launch
interfaces such as lancelot and kickoff), then we'd have to export the API of
AppStats ... but i don't think that really belongs in libplasma; that's more
like KRecentDocument and perhaps belongs more in kfile or kdeui along with
similar classes.

in any case, it's completely solvable.

personally, i would recommend implementing it first in KRunner if possible
just to test out the ideas an ensure that they are workable before we commit
to them in kdelibs where we then end up commited to them for many years.

btw, looking at the code, AppStats::score may benefit from QDateTime::daysTo.

humru othro a kohnu se