KDE and Ubuntu SoundMenu

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sat May 29 11:57:30 CEST 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 9:48 PM, Harald Sitter <sitter.harald at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> At the recently held KDE Multimedia + Edu sprint in Switzerland we came to
> discuss the new concept of a soundmenu, as described at [1].
>
> The general consensus was that the present KDE MM developers do think the idea
> of having a central place to control all sound related informations and
> operations is a very good one, and something we could very well want to have
> implemented upstream instead having a Kubuntu specific version. Especially
> since this would also imply doing enhancements to existing specifications that
> are already used in KDE software.

a great idea i think.

> We are at this point however not sure that the same UI representation proposed
> for Ubuntu should be applied as-is to KDE software. So it is very much desired
> to get discussion going with regards to the API and how to implement it in KDE
> software.

i think the ui is almost secondary now, what we need is a good api and
decide how the architecture will be. some immediate points i can think
about are:
- how this is positioned against statusnotifieritem?
  -do we need a multimedia category for it, since one of the things it
will do is grouping multimedia related icons?
- how it will use other protocols?
  - i suppose the media player control will use mpris
  - the mixer will use dbus over a mixer app? iirc kmix is being
splitted in a client and server partr, right?

so in brief, what more we need compared to a combination of
StatusNotifierItem, Mpris abd a mixer interface? have they to be
extended?

what i really want to avoid is a brand new protocol just for that,
that will just add complexity and slimmer chances of adoption (yes,
i'm looking at the ubuntu messaging menu, i still think it can be done
with some extension to StatusNotifierItem)

Cheers,
Marco Martin