Panel icon sizing bug in 4.4

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue May 25 19:20:46 CEST 2010

On May 24, 2010, Mike Kasick wrote:
> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 10:56:53AM +0200, Marco Martin wrote:
> > What should be modified i think is the size hint of the Icon applet, in
> > workspace, that is explicitly used here
> > and should have a sizehint of Panel in vertical/horizontal formfactors
> > and Desktop in Planar
>
> OK.  Attached is a patch against KDE 4.5 trunk, which I've compiled and
> tested.
>
> It does two things, (i) reenable the setting of the Panel icon size (the
> kcm_icons patch I've submitted previously),

personally, i'd just remove the animate checkbox from that control panel
altogether. otherwise, this looks fine.

> and (ii) add sizeHint methods
> to MenuLauncherApplet (the simple/old-style kickoff), IconApplet, and

the patch to applets/icon/icon.h looks ok.

kickoff is a popup applet should be handled by PopupApplet and so shouldn't be
patched for this.

the PopupApplet patch needs work, however. in PopupApplet::sizeHint, it should
probably be something like:

if (!d->icon) {
    return Applet::sizeHint(which, constraint);
}

switch (formFactor()) {
}

that should work properly.

finally, both the Icon applet and the PopupApplet class will need to connect
to KGlobalSettings::self()->iconChanged(int group) and when the group that is
changed is the Panel or Desktop groups, then an updateGeometry() call will
need to be made. this signal should be connected to a Q_PRIVATE_SLOT in the
PopupApplet case.

thanks for the patches, especially revising them in response to feedback; i
think the easiest thing to do from here will be for ivan and i to triage them
into svn and get them commited for beta2. cheers :)

humru othro a kohnu se