4.5 - Activities

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Mar 31 18:17:55 CEST 2010

On March 26, 2010, Ivan Čukić wrote:
>  - all manager signals converted into listener objects

this is the registeredActivityControllers stuff in the kded service? if so:
turns out that dbus signals aren't as bad as i had been led to believe. it
turns out that some of kdelibs were using certain dbus signals poorly which
was resulting in the "every process is waking up" behaviour. this had been
blamed on dbus signals by some, but turned out not to be the case. i still
think that registering controlers in this manner is "the way to go" though, as
it will make it far easier to debug issues with multiple controllers, give us
the option of controlling who can control and when in the future, etc.

>  - consumer signals left as is (they are not invoked that often, and are
>    something most applications should respond to eventually)

as noted above, this is even a moot point now that we know that dbus signals
are indeed more discretionary. :)

>  - changed d-bus API to fit the style of other KDE services

looks good

>  - added test shell script for nepomuk service
>  - added test implementation of a manager application

tests ftw!

>  - added location resource type
>  - changed a LOT of API

can we get together on irc soon and do a once-over of this and then get it
moved into kdereview?

> I need to do some more testing, but this should work well enough (TM)
> for other parts (UI) to be developed.
>
> I've still retained the kded service <-> nepomuk service organization
> for the before mentioned reasons, including another (IMO) important
> one:
>  - the present packaging of nepomuk is easily breakable (I don't want
> to say that Nepomuk itself is not stable, but that installations of it
> are :) )

then it's an installation issue, and not our concern (at the code level)

> and while, for example, Akonadi can show a message like "blah
> blah not available, akonadi-based apps are not usable", we
> (Plasma/KWin) don't have that luxury.

activities are not a required feature.

> After the time comes when we can rely on nepomuk 24/7, we can remove
> the caching kded service since all of this is hidden behind the API.

if we work around subsystems because "they don't work well yet" then the odds
they ever will work well goes down as there is less reason / motivation to get
them working well. if those subsystems can't be made to work well, then we
shouldn't have them in our stack. otherwise, the aim should be to make them
work. it's that simple. please stop working around brokenness.

humru othro a kohnu se