PMC use case

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Mar 31 17:20:37 CEST 2010

On March 31, 2010, daitheflu at free.fr wrote:
> menu (or whatever you call it, for me it's just a menu) has to be the same
> everywhere.

it isn't a menu, it's a contextual controls bar.
it can't be the same everywhere, since neither the context is consistent nor
could we fit everything on there without putting a hard limit on the number of
possible modes (or "home page entries" if you wish)

> Instead of adding buttons in the top bar, I propose an
> overlaying menu with autohide capability.

you're thinking of the home page and/or browsing UI. this is something
completely different.

> This menu would show what mode
> is currently in use and would allow fast switching / starting. The Mac OS
> X Dock is a good example of what I'm thinking about. You can put it on the
> bottom/left/top/right side of your desk, make it autohide and reappear
> when the mouse pointer comes close to it.

we can't rely on a pointer / mouse. this is a media center with the goal of a
remote control drivable 10' UI.

> this idea, a long-click on an icon could make a "submenu" appear with
> quick access to basic functionnalities like "Quit this mode", "Pause" or
> anything, without switching to the mode.

mouse based UIs are not permisable.

humru othro a kohnu se