PMC use case

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Mar 31 12:40:24 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 31 March 2010 09:37:30 Alexis Ménard wrote:
> > The key is really to support commodity hardware, things people already
> > have or can get rather inexpensively and turn it into a media center
> > with little effort (basically install PMC, and hook up the TV to it).
>
> And why not targeting the problem at the source, integrating the
> software into the TV directly.

Because in that case, you need a very special and high-end TV, it definitely doesn't
fall into the category of commodity hardware, and thus greatly reduce the potential
userbase of PMC.

For the future, sure, I want my TV to have that kind of functionality, and maybe
MeeGo will bring that. Mid-term, you'll have to hook up something to your TV if you
want this kind of functionality and that's what we'll have to work with.
--
sebas