PMC use case

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Mar 30 18:03:34 CEST 2010

On March 30, 2010, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 March 2010 16:56:44 daitheflu at free.fr wrote:
> > ----- "todd rme" <toddrme2178 at gmail.com> a écrit :
> > > I don't think focusing this on HD devices is necessarily a good move.
> > > There are still a huge number of standard-definition TV's out there
> > > and there probably will be for some time.
> >
> > I agree, + new mobile devices like iPad and iPad-like :)
>
> My point is that those devices are different enough to use their own shell
> (i.e. not necessarily PMC). It's similar to the difference between
> plasma-netbook and plasma- mobile.

when it comes to 10 foot UI devices (e.g. TVs), you are exactly right imho.

there is one additional point that i think may be confusing some of the people
in this thread, however:

PMC is special in that in the laptop/tablet/netbook case there will already be
a Plasma shell running (e.g. plasma-desktop or plasma-netbook) and PMC may be
started in addition to that primary shell essentially as a full screen
application. this is a special case where there will be two full plasma shells
running. to the user it will look like "one thing", but us developers will
know better ;)

but in a PVR type experience, PMC would be the only shell.

in this sense, PMC is unique compared to the other plasma shells in that it
may be run as The Shell and sometimes as an Add-On To The Main Shell.

on mobile, it's just completely irrelevant (something different yet again is
needed there; play with canola on a small device, then on a large screen if
you are in doubt :)

humru othro a kohnu se