PMC use case

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Mar 30 17:52:56 CEST 2010

On March 30, 2010, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 March 2010, daitheflu at free.fr wrote:
> > I might misunderstood the aim of the "browser", but I don't think this
> > will be code duplication : you don't browse Music the same way you
> > browse Movies or TV Shows, do you ?
>
> yes i do, what changes is the criteria of how i'm browsing, for instance by
> author or by album, while i could browse movies by director, but this is an
> issue of the data model, not the actual visualization

the other important point here is that PMC is intended to be a "simplified"
but also unified mechanism to get at your media.

it's not meant to be an amarok or a kaffeine which indeed offer all sorts of
different ways to visualize and browse media. as a result, they are not
casual, full screen experienes. this does not make them "bad", it makes them
what they are (which is: "pretty damn good" :)

PMC, by offering a simple, full screen environment should offer the same
casual mechanism to browse all media types. it's something you flick open /
turn on and start using. it's not a desktop UI, it's a media UI.

what this means is that while i don't browse music in amarok the same way i
browse video in kaffeine, i will browse both the same way in PMC.

humru othro a kohnu se