Regarding GSoC Plasmoid data caching project

shruti jain shruti.jain1988 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 09:13:58 CEST 2010

Hello everyone !

I am a final year student of computer science. I intend to contribute to
plasma and see GSoC 2010 as a good starting point for that. I have
participated in GSoC 2009 as well. I am proficient in C/C++ and network
programming as well. I have also been the system administrator of my
university.
I am interested in Plasmoid data caching project. I am doing research on
speculative execution at my university. It has a similar concept of starting
execution on cached data while the most recent copy of data is not available
from the server and avoid downloading from server if the data has not
changed since it was cached.

Presently, plasmoids such as news etc do not show anything when Plasma
netbooks are disconnected from the network. The idea is to use the cached
data when network is not available and refresh when network is available.
I think that the project can be extended to incorporate collaborative
caching as well. Even if the network is present, we can take the data from
caches of other clients on the network. This reduces the load on the server
from where the data(like news) is being fetched. This also fetches a more
recent data in case of proxy failures.

Please send me your comments on the idea and any suggestions to improve the
same.

Thank You.

Best Regards,
Shruti