Socket Sentry applet

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Mar 30 03:10:03 CEST 2010

On March 29, 2010, Rob Hasselbaum wrote:
> Hi all. Sorry if this is not an appropriate use of the list, but since
> several of you helped me out on this, I thought I would mention that
> the first release of my Plasma applet and data engine is finished.
> It's a network traffic monitor called Socket Sentry that tries to
> combine features of iftop and netstat in a Plasmoid. I'd certainly

looks very interesting.

i haven't looked at the code yet, but from the screenshots here are things
that jumped out at me:

* instead of "Freeze sort" perhaps just "Sort" and reverse the logic of the
checkbox

* is there any particular reason why the global settings are global instead of
local?

* "show subdomain levels" could be done with a single spinbox and a special
value (which is what shows when the value of a spinbox is the minimum) of
"All"

* "Show one per row" -> is that essentially grouping?

* any particular reason the column sorting couldn't happen by just right
clicking on the table headers as usual?

* Search boxes are usually[1] in the upper right corner, and with
setClickMessage you can put the string "Search" right inside the searchbox
itself. (a little less clutter :)

i suppose you've published this on kde-look.org?

[1] (though admitedly not always; something else i need to fix up in the Add
Widgets interface)

humru othro a kohnu se