Phonon::VideoWidget embedded inside a QGraphicsProxyWidget

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Sat Mar 27 13:53:58 CET 2010

On Saturday 27 March 2010 05:16:17 Marco Martin wrote:
> On 3/27/10, Christophe Olinger <olingerc at binarylooks.com> wrote:
> > This is not 100 % true. At the moment Shantanu and me try to have it
> >  also scale down to netbook size screens. This will be a bigger user
> >  base in the future than big tv screens IMHO. Also that is my
> >  motivation to work on PMC. I hope we can get both under the same hood.
>
> moreover, if correctly done, that interface can be also thumb friendly
> enough to work also on mobile (the actual real esatate available here
> is roughly the same compared to a tv, really)

I don't think they're the same problem, I think they are very different
problems. MediaCenter UI's are designed for huge screens, viewed from far
away, with emphasis on clear indication of the currently selected widget,
because navigation is limited to 5, maybe 6 buttons at most (up, down, left,
right, ok and maybe cancel - that's your standard remote, there's no mouse or
keyboard). phone and netbook interface are designed for small screens, viewed
from very close, point and click usage with really no emphasis on the
currently selected widget since one has hover events and the other has fingers
which signify the state.

They seem to be mutually exclusive to me, with point and click interface one
can have a pretty large selection of widgets on one screen, but if you have 5
buttons and you try to move to the one widget you want to activate on your TV
and the only indication of which one you have currently selected is blue
border on it, that you need to see from 15 feet away, then remotes will fly
like sparrows in the spring.