Phonon::VideoWidget embedded inside a QGraphicsProxyWidget

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Mar 26 19:24:12 CET 2010

On March 26, 2010, Alessandro Diaferia wrote:
> Lucas says putting the VideoWidget behind the Plasma Desktop is not the way
> to go as he says this is like using a Window Manger to put a widget inside
> a fake Window Manager (Plasma) and hence a loop. As he makes us notice
> that the flag KeepBelow would put our widget below other widgets but not
> below Plasma which is registered as Desktop. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

for plasma-desktop, that's correct. for plasma-mediacenter, if that was the
issue in actual question, it's not.

> QPixmap::grabWindow, instead, works pretty well and
> fast. But this forces us to have a QWidget always visible that is not what
> we want.

perhaps using composite directly to grab the content from the widget? this
would still require a mapped window i believe, but that doesn't mean its
painting to screen and that should be able to be worked around? this would
only work when there is compositing available, of course.

> So, finally, keeping all this in mind i had a *rather nasty and probably
> impossible idea*. But it still worths a try: what about using a similar
> approach? We could use a plain Phonon::VideoWidget without embedding it
> anywhere. We can put it on top of the applet and make it follow its
> movements.

possible, but then we get poor results when zooming or rotating. i don't think
it's really worth it for the plasma-desktop and -netbook cases.

ultimately, i think the real answer is this:

> i was trying to find a way to extract VideoWidget frames

and that probably requires work in Phonon. :/

humru othro a kohnu se