Restart Plasma during package installation/upgrade

Rob Hasselbaum rob at hasselbaum.net
Wed Mar 24 20:06:57 CET 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> is this running on the system bus? if so, then it's probably rejecting the
> call in dbus due to:
>
>    <deny send_type="method_call" log="true"/>
>
> in /etc/dbus-1/system.conf (or your system's equivalent). or perhaps it's on a
> different session bus than the one started automatically for the x session?
> thiat might explain why it would allow it after a restart of plasma-desktop,
> as the restarted plasma-desktop might be using the second dbus session?
>
> so it could be that the dbus service has an improperly crafter dbus interface
> or there's something screwy with the dbus setup (e.g. multiple session buses;
> check with ps?) ....

It's on the system bus, so there's no danger of the client (data
engine) and the service ending up on different session buses.

The D-bus security policy for the service does deny access to all
users except those at the local console (at_console="true" in the
config file) or those of a certain user group. That's intentional. But
in my case, my user account meets both criteria.

This may very well be a D-Bus bug/feature. Maybe it always denies
access to processes that were created before a new service is
configured. But I have to work around it somehow or communicate to
users that they have to restart in order to get things to work.
Obviously, I'd like to avoid bothering the user over this.