netbook reference, the polishing details

Martin Gräßlin kde at martin-graesslin.com
Sat Mar 20 09:32:16 CET 2010

Am Freitag 19 März 2010 19:49:32 schrieb Marco Martin:
> i can continue changing their config files under their feet in the
> workspace kcm like now but kinda feels wrong(tm) to me :/
Actually I don't mind that the config files are changed under kwin's feet as
that's how all kwin kcms work. And I prefer that compared to adding code to
check if we are in netbook mode. But what I consider as a problem is that you
cannot savely switch back to desktop mode. Some config options (e.g. button
ordering) are not restored.

So just an idea: what about adding a new session type to KDM to start into
netbook mode. The "netbook aware" applications will not use ~/.kde/ for
storing their config files but let's say ~/.kde-netbook/. That way we can
setup good default configs and netbook and desktop can be used in parallel
(e.g. Netbook attached to a external screen as desktop replacement).