Questions about plasma notifications

Diego Moya turingt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 14:04:55 CET 2010

Shouldn't that question be cross-posted to kde-usability at kde.org to have
more eyeballs? :-)

On 14 March 2010 23:50, Eduardo Robles Elvira wrote:

> In Artesanos we are working in the new KDE Bluetooth stack
>
> * Job Finished notification
>
> When a Job takes less than X seconds (currently, 1.5s) to finish, no
> notification is shown. And that's ok and has been discussed before: we
> want to bother the user as little as possible and a notification that
> happens for less than 1.5 seconds doesn't makes sense. But what about
> the "job finished" notification? That one doesn't have a
> time-constrain, and is equally useful independant of the time the job
> took to finish.

Actions under 1.5 must also have feedback, it just shouldn't be as prominent
as a pop-up notification. You should still make a flash animation on the
target icon to indicate the job completion. This is not bothersome, it's a
basic action-reaction behavior.

> Use case of this: sending a picture over bluetooth from our mobile to
> our superb laptop. The user accepts the file transfer. As it's a small
> picture, and the phone is 10cm away from the laptop, the transfer is
> nearly instantaneous. No progress dialog is shown. However, the user
> still wants to be able to know when the transfer has been completed,
> and to be able to access to the received file, but the "finished"
> notification never comes.

There should be two different notifications: one small feedback when the
transfer lasts a few seconds and the user's attention is still on the task,
and one prominent "Finished task" message if the user had time to change
tasks and might be attending anything else.