4.5 - Activities

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Thu Mar 11 10:16:26 CET 2010

> ah, and it's transfered over dbus to the client app on each call?

Only on request - if the client wants list of activities, it is sent to it.
The same goes for (soon to be) activitiesForResource. It is not like those
methods should be called that often.

The alternative (discussed with kwin guys) was to use XItems but we decided it
is not that much info so that dbus is not that slow :)

> yes, that wouldn't be optimal. does the query really take 1s though? is the
> query itself properly optimized?

I may be overreacting - I'm just concerned about the future speed - now we
don't have that much info in the nepomuk's database and some nepomuk-based
KIO-s can be rather slow for me.

The query is rather simple - get me stuff with this type :)

The other issue with removing cache is that we'd have to wait for nepomuk to
start in the kde's startup process, and with the cache we don't really care if
it is alive or not until we really need it. (this should be improved in the
code itself eventually - now it is not really really like this :) )

Cheerio,
Ivan

--
I am a spokesman for a better way of living
Love is the word and it can be heard