4.5 - Activities

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 00:20:43 CET 2010

> there's also a penalty for keeping the cache in sync across multiple
> clients.
>
> the other concern is memory usage due to having that cache around ...

The cache is in the kded service - so no need to sync anything. Or I
misunderstood you? So the memory overhead is not big at all.

> i'd really suggest keeping in mind how a cache can be implemented, ensure
> the API doesn't prevent that, and then implement the "naive" approach
> first and measure it from there.

Well. this change can be trivial - comment out the QHash that stores the info.
But I still don't think it is a good idea - even when there is only 1 second
per query, it would be slow - just imagine now that switching virtual desktops
has a > 1 second lag.

Cheerio,
Ivan
--
While you were hanging yourself on someone else's words
Dying to believe in what you heard